Monday, April 13, 2020

Back to Galilee

Pope Francis, in his Easter Vigil Mass message, reminds us to always remember our Galilee – the place where we first met Jesus. On the day of Christ’s resurrection, He said to Mary Magdalene, “Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me (Matthew 28:10). 

I was raised as a Catholic and even went to a Catholic primary school. But I must admit the acts of piety I did as a young boy were only to please my parents and teachers. My first real encounter of Jesus was in my late teens when I was revising for my nurse licensure exam. 

I did not finish university same time as my classmates. I was a summer graduate. Hence, I took the licensure test after them, with a different cohort. I went to review classes on my own. I've never felt so alone. 

What made things worse was I failed the weekly mock test. Despite full-time revisions, I just couldn't pass the mocks. Failure was already setting in even if I haven't taken the licensure exam yet. 

One Friday afternoon, a month before the licensure test, after again failing the mocks, I walked aimlessly with my head down. I found myself in front of a church. I must have walked for over an hour. It was nearly 6 o'clock at night. I entered the church  and stood at the door. A Holy Mass was just about to start. I decided to stay. My mind was still miles away. 

Homily came. The very first words that the priest said was, "If you have an exam the next day, what would you do? You will prepare." Then a short pause followed. He got my attention. I was all ears. Was he talking to me? Was he addressing a group of students? I looked around, there's none. The old lady sat near me started to cry silently upon hearing the priest. The words penetrated her too. I didn't think she was preparing for any examination. Yet, she sobbed as she listened to the rest of the homily.

That moment reminded me of the day when the apostles received the Holy Spirit. Everybody who was listening to them heard the spoken language in their own native tongue (Acts 2:11). The Holy Spirit certainly speaks to each one of us in unique ways.

I went straight to my flat after the Mass, switched the lights off and cried. I wept aloud in the silence of my room, asking God, "Lord, why do I feel so alone?" Then suddenly I heard a voice. "I am here", the voice said. It was so comforting. I knew right then God was talking to me. I cried harder, apologising because I realised God has never left me and yet I ignored him.

I had a peaceful, long sleep. I woke up knowing the reason why I was in a different group. God placed me in that situation so I can also help the others in my group who were also failing. I went to class in high spirits and reached out to my newly met friends. I organised tutorial sessions outside our revision classes. We spent loads of time together and eventually became good friends.

Thankfully, we all passed the licensure exam. Though we don't see each other now, we remain in touch through social media. I was never alone. God revealed His presence to me. He's also given me new friends. From then on, I started getting to know Him more.

My flat in Makati, Philippines -- that was my Galilee. Pope Francis reminds us, "The Lord goes before us, he goes before us always."God would always use a painful, difficult moment of our lives to reach out to us. And He is there for us. He is there before it would even happen. He assures us, "I am with you always, until the end of age (Matthew 28:20)."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feast of Our Lady of Hope

 On a cold winter night 17th January 1871, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared in Pontmain, France. Even though there were adults present, it w...